Table of Contents
Local South African Trout
Trout for me is a great local alternative to Norwegian salmon. It is great value, full of good fats and just as tasty… and Local is Lekker!
Our trout is farmed in Franschoek and the cold pristine water of the Katze dam in the Lesotho highlands. Thanks to strict management of the feed, the environmental impact and the farming methods our Trout is on the Sassi green list.
As trout grow best in cold waters, we normally only have fresh from about July/August but as the flesh is so rich (fatty) it freezes well and of course you can enjoy it all year round, smoked or cooked.
Our trout is sold filleted and pin boned (the small fine bones have been removed) or whole. Today’s recipe uses fillets and as trout is rich a little goes a long way. I enjoy try bakes , especially when entertaining. You can pre prepare the whole dish then pop into the oven just before dinner, leaving you with more time to spend with your guests.
Asian style trout
Prepare your taste buds for a delish Asian style Trout Tray Bake recipe. This delectable dish offers a yummy fusion of flavours, showcasing the delicate and succulent local trout, which is perfectly complemented by a medley of Asian-inspired ingredients. As your senses are teased by the aromas wafting from the oven, you’ll embark on a journey of taste, savouring the marriage of soy sauce, miso, sweet chilli, and a hint of sesame, all combined to create a dish that’s both wholesome and incredibly satisfying. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a home cook looking to impress, this recipe promises a delightful and unforgettable dining experience that’s as simple to prepare as it is delicious to chow.
Video: Tray baked asian style trout
Recipe: Asian Style Trout Tray bake
Serves 2 to 3
- Trout fillets 500g
- Selection of seasonal veg
- peppers, asparagus, tender stem broccoli, mange tout, baby marrows, carrots
- I use asparagus, red onion and peppers
- Olive oil 50ml
- Mirin 2 tbsp.
- Soy sauce 2 tbsp.
- Sweet chili sauce 2 tbsp.
- Lime juice 2 tbsp.
- White miso 2 tbsp.
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger (more if you love ginger like me)
- Toasted sesame seeds 1-2 tbsp
- Fresh limes 1
- Handful coriander
- Portion the trout
- Prepare the marinade – place all ingredients into a jar, seal and shake
- Cut your veg selection into batons of roughly the same size (like a matchstick but bigger)use enough to just cover the oven dish
- Pop veg into the oven dish and drizzle with olive oil
- Lay the trout fillets on top of the veg, pour over the marinade
- Bake in the oven at 180°c for 10 to 12 minutes
- Garnish/finish off with the sesame seeds, lime wedges and coriander
In conclusion, my Asian-style Trout Tray Bake is a culinary delight that beautifully marries the simplicity of tray baking with the complexity of Asian flavours. This recipe not only offers a feast for the senses but also provides a perfect balance of health and taste. From the tender, flaky trout to the aromatic blend of soy, miso, sweet chilli and sesame, this dish encapsulates the essence of Asian cuisine while remaining accessible for cooks of all skill levels. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or seeking a wholesome family meal, this recipe is a winning choice that will leave your guests and loved ones craving for more. So, embrace the fusion of cultures in your kitchen, and let the flavours of the East (with local ingredients) transport you to a world of culinary excellence. Happy cooking!